The Town has acquired the property at 124 Courthouse Road SW for $1,438,500 in an action held November 22. The property was the home of late former mayor Charles Robinson and his wife, late former Councilmember Maud Robinson. It is approximately 3/4 of an acre, and adjacent to the rear parking lot serving the Vienna Shopping Center
The Town tentatively plans to use the property as parkland, but additional uses may be considered as well.
The weatherman is giving us a good look at the last full moon of the decade. Because of the high trajectory across the sky in December, this moon is known as the Full Night’s Moon.
The exact moment the moon goes full is 12:12 AM, on 12/12. So technically it is full tomorrow, but the best view is tonight.
So, step outside for a moment, and enjoy!
The Pearl Harbor National Memorial marks the final resting place for 1,102 sailors trapped below decks in the USS Arizona on this day in 1941.
The volunteer-run thrift store was located in the historic Buton Hall building at Church and Mill Street for over 50 years. But a fire broke out in the basement of the building earlier this year.
Unable to continue at that location because of structural damage to the building, Pennywise opened its doors at a new location this morning with a Grand Opening party for its friends, and loyal patrons.
Attendees gathered early at 214 Dominion Street, and were treated to a dazzling array of baked treats and excellent coffee.
Co-chairs Mary Coulombe and Helen Mertz greeted the crowd and provided fond memories and an overview of the organization’s history.
Holy Comforter Episcopal Church has operated the thrift store since 1962, selling clothing and household items donated and consigned from the Vienna community. Proceeds benefit a variety of ministries and activities within the parish as well as numerous community charitable programs.
This was a warm crowd, clearly folks that have been friends for a long time, and bound by a common mission.
Then, Mayor Laurie DiRocco and Council Member Linda Colbert joined the staff for a ribbon cutting.
Afterwards, all headed back inside for more coffee, a hearty brunch, and champagne. There was even a special cake made for the day.
Not one, but two dedication ceremonies took place Tuesday evening at the first redevelopment created under Vienna’s Maple Avenue Commercial zone procedures.
At street level came cheers of “Gimme a C! … Gimme an F! … Gimme an A! … Chick-Fil-A! A closed party of about a hundred enthusiastic new employees, friends and well-wishers were having a high energy rally to celebrate the Town’s newest chicken restaurant.
Meanwhile, upstairs, caterers readied espresso, champagne, cookies, chocolate strawberries and other yummies as a similar sized crowd gathered for a ribbon cutting to open the new Flagship Car Wash.
A car wash … upstairs? Yes, it is the first one in the country. Special attention has been given to the engineering to make sure there are no leaks through the floor.
Flagship owner Guy Paolozzi and Mayor Laurie DiRocco addressed the crowd on the significant “Firsts” of this project.
Jeff Hubley, the owner-operator of the Chick-Fil-A, had finished his party below and came up to join in.
One of the more significant features of this car wash is that all cleaning work is indoors. Two enormous motor driven belts moves the cars slowly forward under strong lighting as the detail work proceeds. The crew is comfortable, out of the weather, and able to do a better job.
A tree dating from the early days of the country fell to the ground two weeks ago on a windy day. According to the historical site’s Director of Horticulture, Dean Norton, it dated from 1780 and was the last of three trees that bore initials carved by Union soldiers to commemorate the end of the Civil War eighty years later.
Photo (color) credit: Alexandria Patch